Ideas on How to Find a Netball Team to Play With in Melbourne
Do you want to be involved in a sport that will get you fit and active as well as out and about, mingling with like-minded folk? Social netball is it for you. It doesn’t matter if you’re the greenest of greenhorns or a seasoned veteran of the game, young or old, male or female — you can play for fun and just enjoy the side benefits of better health and socialisation.
One of the things you need to do to get started in your new endeavour is to find a netball team. This raises the question, “What is a netball team made of?”
Generally, a netball team is comprised of seven players. Each one traditionally wears a bib showing the abbreviation for the specific role the player performs. Below is a list of these abbreviations and what they stand for:
- GS – Goal Shooter
- GA – Goal Attack
- WA – Wing Attack
- C – Centre
- WD – Wing Defence
- GD – Goal Defence
- GK – Goal Keeper
You don’t need to choose and set your position for life. It’s common for players to try performing different roles, although once they pinpoint which one they are best at, they tend to stick to it.
So, you’ve made the decision to play netball — how then do you find a team to play with? There are many ways you can go about doing this. Here are some ideas:
- Recruit your own people – Talk to your friends and family about forming your own team. You might find that this is the only step you need to take to get seven people together with the express goal of playing netball.
- Join a netball club – You automatically get access to a community of people who are willing to play netball with you. In no time, you can find six or more members for a team, or you can find a group that’s just looking for one or two more players to complete their team.
- Tap social media – This is a very modern and easy way of posting a want ad. Post your desire to join a team on your wall or tweet about it. Use the right hashtags and your network is bound to give good leads for you to pursue.
- Word of mouth – If for some reason you have an aversion to social media, go the way of your ancestors and simply ask around. Friends and family will get the word out until it reaches people who would be interested to form a team with you or include you in the one they already have.
- Show up at games – The best venues in the Melbourne area are Riverside Golf and Tennis Centre, Melbourne High School, Flagstaff Gardens, Ryan’s Reserve, and Richmond Recreation Centre. You never know when an active team might be looking for a new player. There might also be some netball aficionados who could be persuaded to get past being a spectator and actually start playing. You’re likely to find people who can help you at these games.
- Sign up with Melbourne Social Netball – This would be the most direct and fool-proof way to find a netball team to play with. Simply sign up and the staff will place you in a team.
Try any of these tips for finding a team. You’ll hopefully be playing on the courts soon.