5 Reasons Why Desk Workers Should Join Melbourne Netball Teams
Office and desk jobs come with various health risks. After all, the human body just isn’t designed to sit at a desk all day (or all night), in front of a computer or a project. The sedentary nature of a desk job can bring about a myriad of illnesses from headaches and chronic pain, to arthritis and stiff neck, to diabetes, heart disease, cancer, and other serious conditions.
To counteract the health impacts of sedentary work, it’s best to find time and engage in fun, lively, stress-releasing sports – such as Melbourne netball.
For working professionals who want to exercise without the strenuous physical stress and who are seeking to spend quality time with family and friends, playing a social sport such as netball is a great way to enjoy the best of both worlds.
Why netball for office workers?
1. Fast start. It’s never too late if you’ve been a busy bee and just recently discovered netball. Leading netball venues have ongoing, year-round seasons, so you can jump in anytime (incidentally, you’ll find that Melbourne Social Netball’s venues are the best ones — head over to the Riverside Golf and Tennis Centre, Melbourne High School, Richmond Recreation Centre, Flagstaff Gardens, and Ryan’s Reserve). You can round up your office buddies and sign up as a team, or register as an individual player. At Melbourne Social Netball, you can even fill in for free if you’re waiting for your team to start. And you don’t even have to leave the house or office, as you have the option to register online.
2. Easy entry. There are no strict entry requirements. If prolonged desk work has made you rather sluggish, know that adults of all shapes and sizes are welcome at netball. There are also no special sports skills or training required. And unless you’re aiming for a centre position, you don’t have to be super fit or athletic to start playing.
3. Fun HIIT workout. High-intensity interval training (HIIT) is one of the most popular training regimens today because it’s an effective workout perfect for busy people. You get the same fitness gains with the short, repetitive and intense movements you make while playing netball, but without the sombre seriousness often associated with conventional HIIT workouts.
4. Mental boost. Netball is a fast-moving and strategic game, so as you plan your next moves, your brain is getting a good workout, too. Moreover, you’ll love the mental clarity and agility you can get from the game to rejuvenate you for the coming work week.
5. Stress buster. The whole-body exercise, the team camaraderie, the socialization before, during and after each game, and the overall positivity of the sport (unlike other aggressive sports) all contribute to making netball the perfect sports for people who work and play hard.